Unintended Consequences of Communication Triangulation
Who you talk to is as important as what you say
Triangulation: This type of communication, though a common human impulse, has many unintended consequences:
– Family members drawn into this type of conflict end up with a negative view of each other.
– The third family member doesn’t get important feedback about how others are perceiving him or her.
– The real, underlying issue never gets resolved, the cycle repeats, and others follow the behavior pattern.
– Family members stop being able to work together because of baggage and unresolved conflict.
– Failure to address issues directly and dialogue openly negatively affect the bottom line.
How can a family enterprise avoid communication triangulation?
Handle the right problem with the right person